The Reserve Bank of India is to investigate the possibility of issuing a central bank digital currency, work that comes alongside measures to separate the banking sector from private crypto tokens.
Deputy governor BP Kanungo unveiled the plans at the RBI’s monetary policy press conference today (April 5), saying a working group will be formed to assess the “feasibility and desirability” of issuing a central bank digital currency.
Though he gave only scant details of the plans, Kanungo suggeste
- A route to economic growth – The Belt and Road Initiative 2018 survey
- ECB will ‘accelerate efforts’ to tackle staff concerns after second survey
- After the Congress – Interpreting China’s new development concept
- Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank – Raising expectations
- Do not discount central bank digital currency yet – Lagarde