The Reserve Bank of India is to investigate the possibility of issuing a central bank digital currency, work that comes alongside measures to separate the banking sector from private crypto tokens.
Deputy governor BP Kanungo unveiled the plans at the RBI’s monetary policy press conference today (April 5), saying a working group will be formed to assess the “feasibility and desirability” of issuing a central bank digital currency.
Though he gave only scant details of the plans, Kanungo suggeste
- Is the pursuit of a common accounting standard for monetary gold a fool’s errand?
- European Court of Justice overrules ECB on French banks’ leverage
- Malaysian central bank reshuffles senior staff
- FSB launches crypto asset monitoring framework
- Communication strategies too weak to ‘pierce veil of inattention’ – research