Skip to main content

Germany

ECB rates not an obstacle: Stark

The current level of interest rates in the 12-country eurozone is no obstacle to economic growth in the single currency region, the Bundesbank's interim president Juergen Stark said in newspaper interviews on Monday 26 April.

Welteke to face probe this week

Former Bundesbank President Ernst Welteke is to be interrogated on Wednesday 28 April by prosecutors in the so-called "Adlon" affair, in which the central bank chief is accused of illegally accepting gifts, the mass-circulation daily Bild reported on…

Welteke won't get full salary to 2007

Former Bundesbank President Ernst Welteke won't draw his full salary as German central bank chief over the next three years after quitting last week, denying a report in the Financial Times Deutschland newspaper.

Welteke's parting words

Here we republish Ernst Welteke's personal statement on his resignation from the Bundesbank. In the statement Welteke said the Bundesbank's independence continued to be flouted and that the trust between himself and the Ministry of Finance had been …

Stability Pact crucial for EMU says Trichet

ECB President Jean-Claude Trichet said on Dutch television that the stability pact was crucial for the European Monetary Union and that the Netherlands had taken appropriate steps to avoid a budget deficit of above three per cent.

Germany nominates new central bank head

An economics professor, Alex Weber, is the German government's surprise choice for Bundesbank president. Government officials officially nominated the 47-year-old University of Cologne professor after a cabinet meeting on the morning of Wednesday 21…

Welteke resigns from Bundesbank

Bundesbank president Ernst Welteke resigned Friday after coming under heavy criticism for taking a free hotel stay from a commercial bank. He said in a statement "the disregard for the legally guaranteed independence of the Bundesbank and its…

Stark to succeed Welteke?

Ernst Welteke, head of the Bundesbank, resigned on Friday. The Bundesbank and German Ministry of Finance called his decision "appropriate". Many observers of the affair think that his successor will be Koch-Weser, the ministry of finance official…

Eichel tells FAZ Welteke actions 'unacceptable'

Ernst Welteke faced strong criticism from the German government on Tuesday 13 April when the finance minister said in an interview with a German daily that it was unacceptable that the official took a free hotel stay from a private bank under Bundesbank…

Welteke takes leave from Bundesbank

Reports on Thursday 8 April said that the Bundesbank is resisting pressure from the German government to install Deputy Finance Minister Caio Koch-Weser as president to replace Ernst Welteke who agreed to take leave on Wednesday.

Welteke asks Bundesbank Board to review conduct

Ernst Welteke said on Tuesday 6 April that he had asked the Bundesbank's executive board to review his conduct in accepting a hotel stay paid by one of the country's major commercial banks. The move follows a decision by Welteke to pay the bill Monday.

Bundesbank sees profits fall by €5bn

Germany's central bank has said that profits fell by €5bn last year compared to 2002. The drop was partly due to the lower valuation of its equities portfolio and a fall in the value of its dollar-denominated securities holdings.

Welteke sees eurozone recovery scenario intact

Bundesbank President and ECB Governing Council member Ernst Welteke said on Wednesday 24 March that the most likely scenario for Germany and the euro area is a moderate and gradual recovery. He also commented on remarks made by Guy Quaden earlier.

You need to sign in to use this feature. If you don’t have a Central Banking account, please register for a trial.

Sign in
You are currently on corporate access.

To use this feature you will need an individual account. If you have one already please sign in.

Sign in.

Alternatively you can request an individual account

.