"Wage restraint is and remains important. This applies not only to Germany, but all of Europe," Trichet told German weekly news magazine Focus in an interview.
He said the moderate increase in wage costs in the past years was "one of the most important factors" behind the increase in employment and the drop in unemployment, according to Focus.
In the i
- A route to economic growth – The Belt and Road Initiative 2018 survey
- Policymakers should act now to prevent next crisis – IMF panellists
- The Bank of Italy’s approach to risk-based budgeting
- Fintech in the ‘new era’ – Sustainable and sound development
- China’s macroeconomy in the ‘new era’ of politics and power