Andy Haldane has been appointed to chair a new group formed to tackle the UK’s ongoing productivity weakness, in addition to his full-time role as Bank of England chief economist.
Business secretary Greg Clark unveiled the appointment today (October 8). Haldane will chair the newly-formed Industrial Strategy Council, which will bring together “senior individuals” from business, academia and civil society, the government said in a statement.
Haldane’s work as an economist has been diverse, but
- BoE sparks controversy over expenses disclosure
- Riksbank says all banks should be ‘obliged’ to continue cash services
- Cyprus ex-governor says authorities asked for false audit of failed bank
- Norwegian government recommends Norges Bank retain control of SWF
- Iranian central bank looking for alternative to Swift, local media says