Enhancing access to credit by licensing microfinance institutions will not, in and of itself, boost West Africa's economy, Sanusi Lamido Sanusi, the governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria, and Kwesi Bekoe Amissah-Arthur, the governor of the Bank of Ghana, have told CentralBanking.com.
"The problem is that all these financing mechanisms only work within the context of a genuine commitment from government and a developmental strategy," Sanusi said in an interview last Wednesday.
- A route to economic growth – The Belt and Road Initiative 2018 survey
- Policymakers should act now to prevent next crisis – IMF panellists
- The Bank of Italy’s approach to risk-based budgeting
- Dudley backs floor-based system for setting monetary policy
- Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank – Raising expectations