"China has always thought the euro important," said the Chinese finance minister, Xiang Huaicheng, "and thinks that it will some day be on an equal footing with the US dollar."
Mr Xiang's comments came after a meeting with his German counterpart, Hans Eichel, on 6 January.
- Turkish central bank carries out emergency rate hike as currency falls
- Podcast: San Fran Fed’s Daly on gender inequality in central banks
- US House passes deregulation bill with bipartisan support
- Philippines central bank launches reorganisation
- Dudley calls for ‘aggressive action’ on benchmark reforms