Each year, Central Banking’s awards process looks to recognise outstanding achievements among the central banking community and those who work with central banks.
The deadline for entry into the next round – the Central Banking Awards 2018 – is fast approaching. Entries must be submitted via the awards portal by September 8.
Last year the Bank of England took the prize for central bank of the year, and Carlos Fernandez Valdovinos of the Central Bank of Paraguay won governor of the year. Don Kohn took the lifetime achievement award. Leo Krippner of the Reserve Bank of New Zealand won the prize for economics for his work on term structure modelling.
The Bank of Israel was awarded reserve manager of the year, the Bank of Canada took the transparency award, and the Bank of Ghana was risk manager of the year. The Saudi Arabian Monetary Authority won initiative of the year for its work on enterprise risk management.
Notable winners in earlier years include Mario Draghi, who in 2014 was the first governor of the year. In the same year the People’s Bank of China won the award for central bank of the year, and Paul Volcker was recognised for his lifetime achievements.
At each awards presentation evening in London, the lifetime achievement winner gives an interview on stage. In 2014, Volcker spoke on diverse topics, and issued a warning on global monetary stability: “There has been little attention to whether we have an international monetary system that makes sense in today’s world. I am one of the few people worried about this. We have not learned how to live with volatile capital flows.”
The full list of categories for the coming awards is below. To find out more information and to submit your entry or to nominate another winner, visit the awards website.
Open to central banks:
- Governor of the Year
- Lifetime Achievement award
- Reserve Manager of the Year
- Economics in Central Banking
- Website of the Year
- Risk Manager of the Year
- Initiative of the Year
- Banknote and Currency Management – New!
Open to market practitioners:
- Asset Manager of the Year
- Global Custodian of the Year
- Securities Lending Provider of the Year
- Consultancy and Advisory Provider of the Year
- Technology Consultant of the Year
- Banknote and Currency Services Provider of the Year
- Payments and Market Infrastructure Provider of the Year
- Treasury and Counterparty Services of the Year – New!
- Risk Management Technology Provider of the Year
- Innovation in Reserve Management of the Year – New!