The internationalisation of the renminbi will remain a key focus of the Chinese authorities this year, with an operational plan for full convertibility expected by the end of 2013, according to HSBC.
At a briefing held in Hong Kong, HSBC Hong Kong chief executive Anita Fung emphasised the importance of – as well as the challenges around – further liberalisation of the Chinese currency ahead of it achieving full convertibility by 2015.
The market can expect to see "slower growth but faster reform
- All central banks may have to consider crypto-currencies – BIS
- Uruguay’s digital currency pilot ‘close to launch’, says governor
- Central banks will be using blockchain by 2019 – research
- Fed’s Williams floats co-ordinated shift from 2% targets
- Central banks may be thinking wrongly about inflation – Borio