A resolution to the Greek debt crisis was further complicated on Thursday as the government of Angela Merkel, the German chancellor, recoiled from endorsing a European solution.
On Wednesday, a senior figure in Merkel's party told Bloomberg, a newswire, that it was necessary to "think about who has the instruments to push for Greece to restore its capital market access." Meister, who is deputy head of the parliamentary Christian Democratic Union (CDU) party, added: "Nobody apart from the IMF has
- A route to economic growth – The Belt and Road Initiative 2018 survey
- Policymakers should act now to prevent next crisis – IMF panellists
- The Bank of Italy’s approach to risk-based budgeting
- Dudley backs floor-based system for setting monetary policy
- Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank – Raising expectations