A group of prominent American economists have petitioned Congress and the Executive Branch to reaffirm their support for the Federal Reserve's monetary independence.
In their Petition on Fed Independence, the economists warned a lack of central-bank independence posed three risks to the economy.
The economists said independence was "essential" for curbing inflation and that lender of last resort decisions should not be politicised. Calls to alter the structure or personnel selection of the Feder
- Central banks may be thinking wrongly about inflation – Borio
- European Commission announces supervisory agency reforms
- Bank of Russia will be able to handle fallout from failing banks, analysts say
- Riksbank outlines three visions of ‘e-krona’
- Uruguay’s digital currency pilot ‘close to launch’, says governor