The central bank hopes the painful pill will ultimately jump-start the economy by forcing banks to increase lending to small and medium scale businesses.
Last week the central bank ordered that banks must immediately write off 50 percent of any loan they make to governments to
- Central banks may be thinking wrongly about inflation – Borio
- European Commission announces supervisory agency reforms
- Bank of Russia will be able to handle fallout from failing banks, analysts say
- Riksbank outlines three visions of ‘e-krona’
- Uruguay’s digital currency pilot ‘close to launch’, says governor