The real's recent strength gives the central bank an opportunity to buy dollars in the open market at a relatively favourable rate. The Central Bank of Brazil has aggressively bought dollars over the past year to increase reserves and, indirectly, blunt the real's gains.
According to Reuters the central bank has bought more than $33 billion on the spot mar
- A route to economic growth – The Belt and Road Initiative 2018 survey
- Policymakers should act now to prevent next crisis – IMF panellists
- The Bank of Italy’s approach to risk-based budgeting
- Fintech in the ‘new era’ – Sustainable and sound development
- China’s macroeconomy in the ‘new era’ of politics and power