The ECB was acting on behalf of the Bank of Japan.
As rumours about a possible ECB intervention spread on the money markets, the euro gained nearly one percent against the yen, but did weaken slightly in later trading.
During the past week the Bank of Japan has intervened three times in the markets, hoping to weaken the yen and t
- BoE sparks controversy over expenses disclosure
- Further US tightening risks recession – St Louis Fed president
- Cyprus ex-governor says authorities asked for false audit of failed bank
- Riksbank says all banks should be ‘obliged’ to continue cash services
- Iranian central bank looking for alternative to Swift, local media says