A quarter of central banks have insufficient financial stability powers

Some respondent institutions need new powers urgently

The responsibility to deal with financial instabilities in an economy often rests on the central bank, but a quarter of respondents to the Financial Stability Benchmarks 2022 said they need more powers to mitigate such risks.

Among the banks that said they lack sufficient powers, 37.5% said they need extra powers “urgently” while the remaining 62.5% said they required more powers, but less urgently.

The data is composed of 32 responses. Slightly above half (53%), or 17, central banks are from

Only users who have a paid subscription or are part of a corporate subscription are able to print or copy content.

To access these options, along with all other subscription benefits, please contact info@centralbanking.com or view our subscription options here: http://subscriptions.centralbanking.com/subscribe

You are currently unable to copy this content. Please contact info@centralbanking.com to find out more.

Sorry, our subscription options are not loading right now

Please try again later. Get in touch with our customer services team if this issue persists.

New to Central Banking? View our subscription options

If you already have an account, please sign in here.

You need to sign in to use this feature. If you don’t have a Central Banking account, please register for a trial.

Sign in
You are currently on corporate access.

To use this feature you will need an individual account. If you have one already please sign in.

Sign in.

Alternatively you can request an individual account here: