The development and implementation of a global accounting standard, particularly in relation to foreign exchange (forex) reserves, is a major challenge for central banks. This is especially the case for the accounting treatment of monetary gold. International standards define this as a commodity, which most central banks find inappropriate. Current treatment among central banks can assume gold to be a commodity, currency or financial asset, and valuations can be made at historical cost or market
- Motivations and prospects for central bank digital currency
- The Belt and Road Initiative 2019 Survey – A new driver for globalisation?
- Central bankers call for ‘practical action’ to tackle climate risks
- A dangerous moment for the Reserve Bank of India
- Fintech and the future – Improving financial literacy