Statements backed with credibility can exert a strong influence on interest rates well beyond those directly controlled by central banks, Anne Le Lorier, the first deputy governor of the Banque de France, writes in the forthcoming issue of Central Banking journal.
She points to the European Central Bank's (ECB) promise to "do whatever it takes" to save the euro in 2012 and its adoption of forward guidance a year later as "striking examples" of the potential effectiveness of central bank communic
- Bank of Mexico admits $15.2 million went missing in cyber heist
- Is this the beginning of a new era of credit risk management technology?
- Argentina rescue advances as emerging markets suffer outflows
- Artificial intelligence: The future of regulation?
- Norges Bank does not rule out launching digital currency