A review of the Bank of England's Monetary Policy Committee's (MPC) forecasting capabilities conducted by former Federal Reserve official, David Stockton, has found a serial bias towards over-predicting output growth and under-predicting inflation.
"The MPC's recent forecast performance has been noticeably worse than prior to the crisis, and marginally worse than that of outside forecasters," Stockton said in a report published today (November 2). "The forecast errors of the MPC have been
- Supervisory lessons: resolution is a ‘dirty business’
- Key Brexit vote complicates outlook for UK economy
- European auditors ask lawmakers for increased access to ECB documents
- Switzerland grants fintech firms access to interbank payment system
- BIS’s Borio calls on economists to take money more seriously