A working paper published by the European Central Bank attempts to quantify the size of tax-induced distortions to different national housing markets.
In Housing and the tax system: how large are the distortions in the euro area? Serena Fatica and Doris Prammer evaluates the size of the preferential tax treatment of owner-occupied housing in the eurozone.
The authors use an analytical framework based on the “user cost of capital”, estimating “the annual tax-adjusted cost of owning and operatin
- Podcast: San Fran Fed’s Daly on gender inequality in central banks
- Turkish central bank carries out emergency rate hike as currency falls
- Dudley calls for ‘aggressive action’ on benchmark reforms
- Swift starts work on pan-European real-time payment connectivity pilot
- Strike halts Australian banknote production