Former Bank of England (BoE) deputy governor Charles Bean is to lead an independent review of the "quality, delivery and governance" of the UK's economic statistics, with a view to improving the measurement of productivity.
Labour productivity growth remains weak in the UK. Its failure to recover since the financial crisis is commonly referred to as the ‘productivity puzzle' and continues to baffle economists.
"Despite robust output growth in the past few years, productivity growth has remained
- James Bullard on 2% rates, tariffs and Fed leadership
- Podcast: David Hendry and John Muellbauer on empirical macro
- Argentinian central bank takes drastic action over currency crisis
- Turkish central bank raises overnight rates in bid to stop lira’s fall
- Policies must change to stop emerging markets crisis, analysts say