Repo markets have adapted to the liquidity squeeze imposed by new regulations including the liquidity coverage ratio (LCR), but there are more challenges ahead, participants at Euroclear's Collateral Conference said today (May 18).
The LCR and forthcoming Net Stable Funding Ratio have put pressure on repo markets, as much useful collateral – in particular sovereign bonds – is now held by banks to meet regulatory minimums.
But participants during a panel discussion, held under the Chatham House
- Central banks face loss of independence – Central Banking survey
- Summers and Stansbury warn of ‘black hole’ as central bankers debate solutions
- Germany issues first ever zero coupon 30-year bond
- Overcoming deflation: Japan’s experience and challenges ahead
- Mark Carney on joined-up policy-making, forward guidance and Brexit