The Bank of Japan (BoJ) passed up the opportunity to implement additional easing today, as the policy board maintained the status quo in its last meeting before the government hikes the consumption tax rate on April 1.
The board said it would continue to increase the monetary base by ¥60–70 trillion ($580–680 billion) each year, and that it would pursue its quantitative and qualitative easing (QQE) programme "as long as it is necessary" to increase annual inflation to 2% and keep it there.
- A route to economic growth – The Belt and Road Initiative 2018 survey
- ECB will ‘accelerate efforts’ to tackle staff concerns after second survey
- After the Congress – Interpreting China’s new development concept
- Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank – Raising expectations
- Do not discount central bank digital currency yet – Lagarde