A five-euro note featuring the portrait of Europa – the Phoenician woman from Greek mythology from whom the continent takes its name – will be introduced in May 2013 by the European Central Bank (ECB).
It is part of a new series of bank notes that will be gradually introduced during the coming years, which will all include enhanced security features. The ‘Europa series' will have the same denominations as its predecessor, and they will be introduced in ascending order.
According to the myth, Eur
- Uruguay’s digital currency pilot ‘close to launch’, says governor
- Central banks will be using blockchain by 2019 – research
- Central banks may be thinking wrongly about inflation – Borio
- Nigerian state uses central bank as ‘piggy bank’ – MPC member
- European Commission announces supervisory agency reforms