A five-euro note featuring the portrait of Europa – the Phoenician woman from Greek mythology from whom the continent takes its name – will be introduced in May 2013 by the European Central Bank (ECB).
It is part of a new series of bank notes that will be gradually introduced during the coming years, which will all include enhanced security features. The ‘Europa series' will have the same denominations as its predecessor, and they will be introduced in ascending order.
According to the myth, Eur
- James Bullard on 2% rates, tariffs and Fed leadership
- Turkish central bank raises overnight rates in bid to stop lira’s fall
- Next financial crisis “will be brewing” in shadow banking – Bullard
- Policies must change to stop emerging markets crisis, analysts say
- Podcast: David Hendry and John Muellbauer on empirical macro