Since China began to liberalise its currency last year, debate has raged over whether and when renminbi will become a major reserve currency in its own right. The ongoing sovereign crisis and the recent downgrade of the US's credit rating by Standard & Poor's appear to have accelerated the pace of change in the composition of central bank reserves.
"The US downgrade in August was a really key driver of interest in renminbi. In the days following the downgrade we had several enquiries from centra
- Banknote and currency manager of the year: Norges Bank
- Lifetime achievement award: Perng Fai-nan
- Initiative of the year: Bank of England’s FinTech Accelerator
- Consultancy and advisory provider of the year (data and regulatory management): BearingPoint
- Asian central banks crack down on cryptocurrency