The central bank's bleak assessment was its fifth downgrading of the country's economic prospects in as many months.
Corporate bankruptcies, meanwhile, are surging, while exports are plummeting according to data published on Monday.
Japan is in a severe recession, with the rate of unemployment at a record 5%.
- A route to economic growth – The Belt and Road Initiative 2018 survey
- ECB will ‘accelerate efforts’ to tackle staff concerns after second survey
- After the Congress – Interpreting China’s new development concept
- Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank – Raising expectations
- Do not discount central bank digital currency yet – Lagarde