The authorities will split the £37 billion between three banks: The Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS), Halifax Bank of Scotland (HBOS) and Lloyds TSB. The government has agreed to buy £9 billion in preference shares and underwrite offers of ordinary shares for the outstanding amount.
The Treasury said: "The overall a
- James Bullard on 2% rates, tariffs and Fed leadership
- Podcast: David Hendry and John Muellbauer on empirical macro
- Argentinian central bank takes drastic action over currency crisis
- Turkish central bank raises overnight rates in bid to stop lira’s fall
- Policies must change to stop emerging markets crisis, analysts say