Speaking at a financial stability seminar at the National Bank of Belgium, Nowotny, who is also a member of the governing council of the European Central Bank, said: "It goes without saying that these are extremely unfavourable preconditions for effective crisis management."
He added that he favoured the establishment of a European Union
- World’s largest SWF bars investment in four companies for guideline breaches
- ECB needed better data in 2008 crisis, says Lautenschläger
- Brazilian government must respect central bank independence – IMF
- Seychelles must act fast on money-laundering, says central bank
- Is the pursuit of a common accounting standard for gold a fool’s errand?