She was answering questions from the audience after delivering prepared remarks about community banking to a bankers' conference in Columbus, Ohio.
When Enron went down, "there was nary a ripple in the rest of the economy," Bies said. When large companies are no longer solvent, they should be allowed to fail, she said.
Bies said Enron's demise
- Central bank digital currency a ‘terrible idea’, US Congress told
- People: Olli Rehn enters office as Bank of Finland governor
- Trump criticises Fed over rate rises and threatens higher tariffs
- ECB’s easing policies reduced inequality, paper says
- Infrastructure financing not harmed by post-crisis reforms – FSB