E-money schemes are gradually gaining popularity as a means of payment in some countries of the euro area. The introduction of the euro and the switch from bank cards with magnetic stripes to smart cards could further stimulate the use of e-money and make it an attractive payment instrument for small amounts.
Central banks have always had a strong interest in such developments on account of their overal
- Turkish central bank carries out emergency rate hike as currency falls
- Podcast: San Fran Fed’s Daly on gender inequality in central banks
- US House passes deregulation bill with bipartisan support
- Philippines central bank launches reorganisation
- Dudley calls for ‘aggressive action’ on benchmark reforms