This raises the spectre of chaos when euro notes and coins are launched a day earlier.
"We are heading for a strike," a senior official from the Force Ouvriere union - which comprises about 30% of France's banking work force.
A wider strike of up to 400,000 bank employees is "a strong likelihood coming out of inter-union talks," taking place this afternoon, he added.
Five main unions repr
- Latvian police detain central bank governor on corruption charges
- Ireland withdraws Lane’s nomination for ECB vice president
- Saudi Arabia’s Alkholifey on economic restructuring, reserves and cyber security
- Central banks mull securities lending as response to low yields
- ECB orders Latvia to shutter bank over laundering allegations