EU officials have warned they would view critically any moves to limit the independence of the central bank as Poland prepares for membership in 2004 and possible adoption of the euro later.
"The Maastricht treaty calls on central banks to ensure price stability as their key target," Ernst Welteke, Bundesbank presid
- BoE sparks controversy over expenses disclosure
- Riksbank says all banks should be ‘obliged’ to continue cash services
- Cyprus ex-governor says authorities asked for false audit of failed bank
- Norwegian government recommends Norges Bank retain control of SWF
- Iranian central bank looking for alternative to Swift, local media says