The government made the order to try to prevent a run on bank deposits by people trying to convert their savings to US dollars.
Banks and other currency traders have remained shut since Sunday when the government announced an end to exchange rate controls - a move expected to send the value of the pesos plummeting.
A run on the banks
- Podcast: San Fran Fed’s Daly on gender inequality in central banks
- Turkish central bank carries out emergency rate hike as currency falls
- Swift starts work on pan-European real-time payment connectivity pilot
- Dudley calls for ‘aggressive action’ on benchmark reforms
- Strike halts Australian banknote production