The government made the order to try to prevent a run on bank deposits by people trying to convert their savings to US dollars.
Banks and other currency traders have remained shut since Sunday when the government announced an end to exchange rate controls - a move expected to send the value of the pesos plummeting.
A run on the banks
- All central banks may have to consider crypto-currencies – BIS
- Uruguay’s digital currency pilot ‘close to launch’, says governor
- Central banks will be using blockchain by 2019 – research
- Fed’s Williams floats co-ordinated shift from 2% targets
- Central banks may be thinking wrongly about inflation – Borio