The Fed is responsible for the supervision of commercial but not investment banks, which are regulated by the Securities and Exchanges Commission.
But Geithner called on Monday for an extension of the Fed's regulatory responsibility to include the likes of Lehman Brothers and Goldman
- World’s largest SWF bars investment in four companies for guideline breaches
- ECB needed better data in 2008 crisis, says Lautenschläger
- Brazilian government must respect central bank independence – IMF
- Seychelles must act fast on money-laundering, says central bank
- Is the pursuit of a common accounting standard for gold a fool’s errand?