But Mr Zhou Xiaochuan also vowed to maintain the stability of the currency, the yuan, putting to rest weeks of speculation that change was on the cards.
'The central bank will study and draw up plans for the market-driven reform of interest rates,' the official China Securities Journal quoted
- BoE sparks controversy over expenses disclosure
- Riksbank says all banks should be ‘obliged’ to continue cash services
- Cyprus ex-governor says authorities asked for false audit of failed bank
- Further US tightening risks recession – St Louis Fed president
- Iranian central bank looking for alternative to Swift, local media says