At a Brussels meeting on Wednesday, Wolfowitz won support from leading European figures by stressing his commitment to multilateralism.
The deputy US defence secretary said he would make the fight against poverty his top goal as head of the Washington-based global lending institution.
"Helping people lift themselves out o
- BoE sparks controversy over expenses disclosure
- Further US tightening risks recession – St Louis Fed president
- Cyprus ex-governor says authorities asked for false audit of failed bank
- Riksbank says all banks should be ‘obliged’ to continue cash services
- Iranian central bank looking for alternative to Swift, local media says