Mr Trichet is also France's candidate for the position of president of the European Central Bank but his tag of favourite has suffered since the decision to prosecute him was taken. The current ECB chairman, Wim Duisenberg, is due to step down in July 2003.
The date for the start of the trial is earlier than most expecte
- BoE sparks controversy over expenses disclosure
- Further US tightening risks recession – St Louis Fed president
- Cyprus ex-governor says authorities asked for false audit of failed bank
- Riksbank says all banks should be ‘obliged’ to continue cash services
- Iranian central bank looking for alternative to Swift, local media says