The new rate applies from tomorrow until the end of June 2008.
Despite earlier rate hikes, core inflation rose to 8.7% in 2007, way above the central bank's 6.5% target. Shamshad Akhtar, the governor of the central bank, said that the risks to inflation outweighed those to growth in the near term, adding that growth for the last financial year was exactly on target at 7%.
- BoE sparks controversy over expenses disclosure
- Riksbank says all banks should be ‘obliged’ to continue cash services
- Cyprus ex-governor says authorities asked for false audit of failed bank
- Further US tightening risks recession – St Louis Fed president
- Iranian central bank looking for alternative to Swift, local media says