Next year marks the 20th anniversary of the setting up of Hong Kong's Securities and Futures Commission (SFC). What would you say have been the biggest achievements over this period?
The single biggest event was the Asian financial crisis (of 1998), which bought the Hong Kong stock market close to its knees and had strong ripple effects throughout Asia. The SFC had a key role to play in asserting stability and since then we've enjoyed a robust market. Failures have been on a small scale and rela
- World’s largest SWF bars investment in four companies for guideline breaches
- Is the pursuit of a common accounting standard for gold a fool’s errand?
- ECB needed better data in 2008 crisis, says Lautenschläger
- Brazilian government must respect central bank independence – IMF
- Bank of Jamaica’s Wynter on the path to inflation targeting