One doesn't think of central bankers as being preoccupied with existential questions. But some are. Under Mervyn King's stewardship, for instance, the Bank of England has recently had a bout of introspection. As a result, its raison d'etre has been subtly redefined.
One purpose lighter
In the annual report for 2003 the Bank had set itself three "core purposes": "1/Maintaining the integrity and value of the currency; 2/Maintaining the stability of the financial system, both domestic and internati
- Fintech in the ‘new era’ – Sustainable and sound development
- China’s macroeconomy in the ‘new era’ of politics and power
- A route to economic growth – The Belt and Road Initiative 2018 survey
- Policymakers should act now to prevent next crisis – IMF panellists
- ‘Regulatory equivalence’ not enough for post-Brexit UK CCPs – Cœuré