One doesn't think of central bankers as being preoccupied with existential questions. But some are. Under Mervyn King's stewardship, for instance, the Bank of England has recently had a bout of introspection. As a result, its raison d'etre has been subtly redefined.
One purpose lighter
In the annual report for 2003 the Bank had set itself three "core purposes": "1/Maintaining the integrity and value of the currency; 2/Maintaining the stability of the financial system, both domestic and internati
- Is Donald Trump undermining the Fed’s independence?
- Regulation could stabilise crypto asset market, experts argue
- Reserves preservation key in Tunisia amid growing challenges – El Abassi
- People: San Fran Fed appoints head of research
- China’s exchange rate poses major challenge to fairer trade – US Treasury