Majority of central banks maintain currency denominations

Only a few countries removed denominations from active circulation in past five years

Most central banks retained the banknote denominations circulating in their jurisdictions over the past five years, the Currency Benchmarks 2023 find.

Nearly four-fifths (78.8%) of 33 central banks said they did not withdraw any denominations from circulation within the period. But the remainder of seven (21.2%) institutions said they did. Data from the 2022 benchmarks revealed a similar pattern among central banks. A clear majority (81.5%) of respondents said they retained the denominations at

Only users who have a paid subscription or are part of a corporate subscription are able to print or copy content.

To access these options, along with all other subscription benefits, please contact or view our subscription options here:

You are currently unable to copy this content. Please contact to find out more.

Sorry, our subscription options are not loading right now

Please try again later. Get in touch with our customer services team if this issue persists.

New to Central Banking? View our subscription options

If you already have an account, please sign in here.

You need to sign in to use this feature. If you don’t have a Central Banking account, please register for a trial.

Sign in
You are currently on corporate access.

To use this feature you will need an individual account. If you have one already please sign in.

Sign in.

Alternatively you can request an individual account