The Reserve Bank of Zimbabwe has ordered banks to ring-fence nostro foreign currency accounts in what appears to be a step towards de-dollarising the country.
“This is essential in order to preserve value for money for the banking public and investors during the transition to a more market-based foreign currency allocation system,” the central bank said in its most recent monetary policy statement.
Such a system would be implemented once “the economic fundamentals are appropriate to do so”, it
- BoE sparks controversy over expenses disclosure
- Riksbank says all banks should be ‘obliged’ to continue cash services
- Cyprus ex-governor says authorities asked for false audit of failed bank
- Norwegian government recommends Norges Bank retain control of SWF
- Iranian central bank looking for alternative to Swift, local media says