During the Asian financial crisis, when you were administrator of the State Administration of Foreign Exchange, a decision was taken not to devalue the renminbi. Can you explain who argued for maintaining the peg and the rationale for this – it appears you informed SAFE officials about the decision about a month before premier Zhu Rongji made the formal announcement?
During the Asian financial crisis, the primary goal of China’s economic leaders, including the People’s Bank of China (PBoC) and
- Central banks face loss of independence – Central Banking survey
- Summers and Stansbury warn of ‘black hole’ as central bankers debate solutions
- Germany issues first ever zero coupon 30-year bond
- Overcoming deflation: Japan’s experience and challenges ahead
- Mark Carney on joined-up policy-making, forward guidance and Brexit