Contractionary monetary policy increases wealth spread, says Philadelphia Fed paper

philadelphia-fed

A working paper published by the Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia in September, finds monetary policy does not affect different segments of the population equally.

The authors, Nils Gornemann, Keith Kuester and Makoto Nakajima, find contractionary monetary policy shocks widen a population's wealth gap. For the wealthiest 5%, income and welfare increase, while for the remaining 95% they fall, the authors say. As such, the negative impact of such a shock is much larger if the heterogeneity of

Only users who have a paid subscription or are part of a corporate subscription are able to print or copy content.

To access these options, along with all other subscription benefits, please contact [email protected] or view our subscription options here: http://subscriptions.centralbanking.com/subscribe

You are currently unable to copy this content. Please contact [email protected] to find out more.

To continue reading...

You need to sign in to use this feature. If you don’t have a Central Banking account, please register for a trial.

Sign in
You are currently on corporate access.

To use this feature you will need an individual account. If you have one already please sign in.

Sign in.

Alternatively you can request an individual account here: