The US Federal Reserve Board might have to use monetary policy to deal with instability in the financial sector, despite several major problems with this, the president of the Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland has warned.
“I believe monetary policy should remain focused on promoting price stability and maximum employment, and not be given a third objective of financial stability,” Loretta Mester told an audience in Philadelphia on January 6.
But the goals and actions of monetary policy were “i
- Central bank digital currency a ‘terrible idea’, US Congress told
- People: Olli Rehn enters office as Bank of Finland governor
- Podcast: David Vines on how to reform the DSGE model
- Infrastructure financing not harmed by post-crisis reforms – FSB
- Trump criticises Fed over rate rises and threatens higher tariffs