The US Federal Reserve Board might have to use monetary policy to deal with instability in the financial sector, despite several major problems with this, the president of the Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland has warned.
“I believe monetary policy should remain focused on promoting price stability and maximum employment, and not be given a third objective of financial stability,” Loretta Mester told an audience in Philadelphia on January 6.
But the goals and actions of monetary policy were “i
- Auditors find ‘flaws’ in ECB’s crisis management framework
- Home truths on Europe’s NPLs
- Central banks lack ‘firepower’ to combat financial crises, says report
- Economists need to better understand macrofinancial links – BIS paper
- Ukrainian bank owners carried out ‘co-ordinated fraud’, forensic audit says