Bouts of deflation tend to cause inflation expectations to become less well anchored, according to research published by the Bank for International Settlements.
The working paper, Deflation expectations, by Ryan Niladri Banerjee and Aaron Mehrotra studies inflation expectations among professional forecasters in 43 emerging and advanced economies. “The global nature of the data set is highly relevant, as deflations have not been limited to advanced economies – 30 of the 47 deflationary episodes
- Turkish central bank carries out emergency rate hike as currency falls
- Podcast: San Fran Fed’s Daly on gender inequality in central banks
- Swift starts work on pan-European real-time payment connectivity pilot
- Dudley calls for ‘aggressive action’ on benchmark reforms
- Strike halts Australian banknote production