The informal economy has a mixed impact on inflation outcomes, research published by the Bank for International Settlements finds.
Enrique Alberola-Ila and Carlos Urrutia examine how informal labour markets – operating outside the tax, regulatory and financial systems – affect inflation outcomes. Despite the large informal sectors in many emerging markets, the issue has been little examined in the past, they say.
They use a dynamic stochastic general equilibrium model, into which they
- Motivations and prospects for central bank digital currency
- The Belt and Road Initiative 2019 Survey – A new driver for globalisation?
- Central bankers call for ‘practical action’ to tackle climate risks
- Fintech and the future – Improving financial literacy
- ‘They could do nothing’: insights into political interference at the Fed