What will the future of banknotes look like? It is evident that most central banks, not only in the developed world, are asking this same question. Investments in new cash centres, vaults or processing machines are long-term commitments, as well as the development of new banknote series. Therefore, in a world of continuously evolving new payment methods, those responsible for central bank cash operations would like to have a crystal ball regarding the future of banknotes.
To know the future, we
- Kohn ‘deeply’ worried Fed might not have support to fight next crisis
- Book notes: Macroprudential policy and practice, edited by Paul Mizen, Margarita Rubio and Philip Turner
- BoE revamps expenses rules after criticism from MPs
- Draghi warns of downside risks as ECB ends net asset purchases
- EME central banks can counter the next downturn