The European Central Bank's (ECB) former banknotes director, Antti Heinonen, has described the "arduous path" towards the release of the second series of the euro.
In a book published jointly by the ECB and Bank of Finland, Heinonen writes that planning for the new series of banknotes, now known as the Europa series, began shortly after the launch of the first series.
Heinonen was in charge of banknotes from 1998 to 2008, so he oversaw both the changeover from national currencies to the euro in
- Podcast: San Fran Fed’s Daly on gender inequality in central banks
- Malaysian central bank sends details of own land deal to anti-corruption body
- Strike halts Australian banknote production
- EBA and ECB hit out at capital hurdles to banking union
- Turkish central bank carries out emergency rate hike as currency falls