Researchers at the Bank for International Settlements (BIS) have put forward a method for assessing when credit growth is unsustainable, offering a method that could predict financial crises years in advance.
Published today (May 8), the working paper Leverage dynamics and the real burden of debt by Mikael Juselius and Mathias Drehmann begins with the problem of separating long-term credit growth driven by financial deepening from more dangerous movements.
Juselius and Drehmann use a vector auto
- Treasury committee to investigate BoE’s lack of diversity
- Canada’s Project Jasper to explore clearing of securities in third phase
- Bank of Portugal sells majority share in ‘good bank’
- Fed’s Powell: banks still have important role in payments
- Xi sees renminbi taking greater role in global monetary system