The hryvnia has taken a nosedive following the National Bank of Ukraine's (NBU) decision to scrap daily foreign exchange auctions - despite a parallel increase in the bank's key discount rate from 14% to 19.5%.
The hryvnia had lost half its value against the US dollar in 12 months prior to today. It fell by an additional 32% in the hours following the announcement.
"It's off the charts," says Benoit Anne, head of global emerging market strategy at Societe Generale. "It's a once-in-a-life-time ev
- Bank of Mexico admits $15.2 million went missing in cyber heist
- Is this the beginning of a new era of credit risk management technology?
- Argentina rescue advances as emerging markets suffer outflows
- Artificial intelligence: The future of regulation?
- Norges Bank does not rule out launching digital currency