Shadow banking continued its worldwide expansion last year even as assets in the traditional banking sector declined, according to the Financial Stability Board's (FSB) latest annual monitoring exercise.
Assets in the shadow banking sector rose around 7% during 2013 to reach $75 trillion, the FSB said in its report, published today. By contrast, banks' assets dipped slightly, from $139.9 trillion to $139.2 trillion.
Shadow banking assets therefore accounted for around 25% of total financial asse
- Banknote and currency manager of the year: Norges Bank
- Lifetime achievement award: Perng Fai-nan
- Initiative of the year: Bank of England’s FinTech Accelerator
- Consultancy and advisory provider of the year (data and regulatory management): BearingPoint
- Asian central banks crack down on cryptocurrency